9.05.2014

Be Loyal to the Royal Within Girls Camp 2014

I was lucky to be able to be camp director for our ward YW again this year. We had such a great group of girls and the stake planned an amazing week at camp full of fun and the spirit. The theme this year was BE LOYAL TO THE ROYAL WITHIN.  we focused on helping the girls to understand that they truly are born to be Queens.  Look at all those beautiful girls!! 

My little camp tradition is to have the girls meet at my house for breakfast before we head up to camp.  It gets them excited to be together.  


...DAY 1... We arrived and set up camp and got to know the girls we were camping with.  During the evening was a grand ball so all the girls dressed up in old thrift store dresses and enjoyed a night of dancing! I like to give the girls something each day to remind them of the day so they received crowns to wear to the dance.  


...DAY 2... 
Princesses in Training
I gave each of the girls a journal with copies of the talks that would be used throughout the week, the devotional schedule (including prayer assignments) and their camp schedules.  

This devotional was based on: 
1. "Remember Who You Are!" By Sis. Dalton 
2. D&C 25:2, 10, 13

"I have always loved the story of the son ofKing Louis XVI of France because he had an unshakeable knowledge of his identity.  As a young man, he was kidnapped by evil men who had dethroned his father, the king.  These men knew that if they could destroy him morally, he would not be heir to the throne.  For six months they subjected him to every vile thing life had to offer, and yet he never yielded under pressure.  This puzzled his captors, and after doing everything they could think of, they asked him why he had such great moral strength.  His reply was simple.  He said, "I cannot do what you ask, for I was born to be a King.

Like the King's son, each of you has inherited a royal birthright.  Each of you has a divine heritage.  'You are literally the royal daughters of our Father in Heaven.'  Each of you was born to be a Queen." 

We talked about things they can do and decide now to be like the king's son. I also shared with them that when I would leave the house on the weekends to go hang out or go out on dates my dad would say, Remember, you were born to be a Queen" don't let anyone change that or make you think otherwise! 

That night the stake had the sister missionaries come up the mountain and help with an iron rod activity.  One by one each girl was blindfolded and given instructions for how to get through "life" (aka the iron rod activity).  It made me think for the first time that Heavenly Father was probably giving us last minute advice and instruction in the premortal life .  They told us things like stay true to who you are and what you know to be right. Whenever you are in doubt or need help say a prayer.  Remember that Heavenly Father loves you and will never leave you alone. Then we were left in the dark to ind our way through life. I know quite a few sister missionaries so when one of them tried to get me to go the wrong way I told her it was sad that those you thought were friends try to lead you astray! Afterwards she came up to me and was like ouch! That hurt!! Haha but it's true.  When I did the iron rod I was with the stake camp director who I look up to a lot.  She wasn't afraid to say "Heavenly Father I need help!" Sometimes (a lot of times) I  stubborn and think I can do things on my own. I need to learn to put my life in His hands so that he can help me. 

...DAY 3... 
Happily Ever After 
Flower pens to go with journals 
Talk: "Your Happily Ever After" by Pres. Uchtdorf
Scriptures: D&C 87:8, D&C 21:6, Isaiah 40:31, Mosiah 2:20-24

I don't have my Asst. camp director's notes, so I don't have details about this devotional! 

The third night they had the sisters come up again and planned an activity about te Plan of Salvation. The sisters were all airplane stewardesses and we were passengers.  They faked an airplane crash and then led the girls out of the "plane" and into the forest.  The sisters then rotated between the groups and taught different portions of the Plan of Salvation.  After that they asked the girls if they died today, would they be ready? Each girl then received a letter from home.  It was really neat! 

Later in the evening was a singing testimony program and a silent hike.  For the silent hike they set up a station for each of the YW values along a path in the forest.  Each girl received a stone for each value.  At each station was a quote and scriptures to go along with the value.  If the YW felt she understood and lived the value, she left the corresponding stone at that station.  The ones she kept were to help remind her to study and try to live that value better.  

Faith: Alma 32:21
Divine Nature: 2 Peter 1:4-7
Individual Worth: D&C 18:10
Knowledge: D&C 88:118
Choice &Accountability: Joshua 24:15
Good Works: 3 Nephi 12:16
Integrity: Job 27:5
Virtue: Proverbs 31:10



...DAY 4...
Daughters of Heavenly Father: A Royal and Divine Heritage
Flower Crowns

Talk: "Daughters if Heavenly Father" by Sis. Tanner
Romans 8:16, 1 Samuel 16:7

"You are second to none.  You are daughters of God. 

The last night was "bishops night" where all the bishops visit  and bring dinner. Our bishop brings up the most delicious pizza from "Rosatis".  Mmmmmm.... We eat dinner together and then have testimony night.  Of course this is always the time where the spirit is felt and many tears fall.  This night was no different, but I realized that our girls finally felt connected.  They realized that most of them are in the situation where they either don't have a father or priesthood holder in their homes.  I saw them become friends and enjoy being together.  Which hasn't really happened before for whatever reason, but I am so glad that it did.  These girls need each other more than I think they realize! 

I wanted to continue on a tradition from last year, so I made the girls bracelets (last year they got anchor bracelets.) There is a gem show that comes to Tucson and sells beads and gems for super super cheap so one of the other YW leaders found freshwater pearls for us to use for the bracelets which were 2.50 a strand.  I think we made 25 bracelets out of 7 strands. I found tons of charms and bracelet clasps for 3.00 for 30 pieces... Can't beat that! 

I encouraged the girls to wear them often to remind them of the spirit and unity they felt at camp and to keep their eyes set on the temple.  I also took time during camp (i should say out of my precious sleep!) to write a note to them about qualities I saw them develop during camp and one thing I admired about them.  We also made enough to give to each of the stake leaders and the girls signed a little note to them.  These pictures don't do them justice! 











No comments:

Post a Comment