2.14.2011

#2-MY JOB

I am a pharmacy technician. I count pills and deal with crazy, angry, and sick people all day! haha it's a wonder why i am going nuts too! jk. In high school i wanted to do something that would help me to have a great paying job immediately. The only way to do so was to go to salt lake community college tech center for 1/2 of each day of my senior year. I decided on pharmacy. My job entails... taking your prescription... inputting the information the dr lovingly wrote to me to give to you.... then getting the medication and putting it in a bottle with a label on it. interesting right?? maybe.. but it's not what i wanted to do in the pharmacy industry. I wanted to research drugs. I wanted to discover a new drug that cured cancer. After i watched my grandma b. struggle basically all my teenage life i knew i wanted to help people and research something to stop more people from going through what my grandma went through. I guess I'm doing one part... helping people... but there's just something missing! so i go through the motions of everyday life in THE BOX aka the pharmacy that i work in. I think that my immune system has become much stronger...except for last spring/summer when i got strep twice... I have to say though i am suprised with all of the tamiflu rx's i filled last winter that I DIDN'T end up with the swine flu... my hands definitely suffered from all of the sanitizer that i used. but it was worth it! This job has supported brad and i so i dont regret doing it, but i need something more now! Things i wish people knew about pharmacy.... 1.WE ARENT MCDONALDS. if we do our job too quickly mistakes happen and people could seriously end up really injured. that's why when i tell you its going to be 30 minutes don't rush me. I know you're sick, in a hurry, or just plain impatient-but it is pretty dang important that i do my job right. 2.EVERY INSURANCE PLAN IS DIFFERENT. just because there are a select few major insurance corporations namely... medco, humana, caremark, blue cross... doesn't mean that everyone that holds, lets say a medco insurance card.. has the exact same copay. So i'm sorry that i can't magically tell you how much your prescription is going to cost just because you say... "but i have medco insurance"... THAT MEANS NOTHING TO ME!!! :) 3.WHEN YOU STARE AT ME AND STAND RIGHT OUTSIDE THE PHARMACY... it only makes me want to do my job 10 times slower because you are really bugging me! give me my space, time, and be nice and i will get you out the door very quickly! 4. EVERY PRESCRIPTION GOES THROUGH A PROCESS... this is so that no mistakes happen. the process... 1. i take your rx and scan the image into my computer. 2. i type the prescription-date, drug, quantity, days supply, directions, refills, dr info. 3. i double check everything-you try reading dr's handwriting someday... 4. the pharmacist checks my work. 5. i fill the rx. 6. the pharmacist checks that i filled it correctly and checks the typed portion again.... helpful to know??? maybe next time everyone will be more patient at the pharmacy counter! 5. I KNOW WHEN PEOPLE LIE. i have become very good at being a lie detector. the fbi should hire me! 6. WE CLOSE FOR LUNCH. get over it. the pharmacist at my store works a 12 hour shift and only gets 30 minutes for lunch. I don't see you getting angry at the doctor for taking an hour lunch during a 7-8 hour work day. its 30 minutes people during the same time everyday so it shouldn't be a suprise to you! 7.DOCTORS DO NOT KNOW THE PRICES OF MEDICINE. I hate hate hate when people come in and tell me that the doctor told them their rx would be 4 dollars. I want to tell them to go back to their dr. and say that i said their appointment would only be 15 dollars. I'm really not an angry person! I promise! Hope you've enjoyed my post about my job... :) On a lighter note.. HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!! Today bradley and i celebrated our 4th v-day. we stayed home made a nice dinner and watched a movie. He gave me roses and chocolate covered strawberries along with katy perrys cd and a love cd by glee. Such a sweety poo. haha I wrote him a letter in one of those giant cards-filled valentines with love.. and got him an additional x box controller. ( he and his friends insist he needs 4 of them) I love my bradley! He is so sweet to me and has had to put up with a lot since moving here. He is so understanding and knows just how to make me smile! I am so grateful to have him in my life! I love his cute smile, amazing blue eyes, and his outgoing personality. We have grown so much closer together over the past 6 months and i wouldn't trade anything for the time i get to spend with him! LOVE YOU BRADLEY!

No comments:

Post a Comment